A Healthy Diet by Knowing Your Macronutrients and Micronutrients
Also, if you’re on a diet. It’s important to know that many of them might leave out some of these nutrients. When we deprive our bodies of what it needs, it can’t function as properly as it should. Make sure you include them in your diet.
For those trying to lose weight it is even more essential if you want the weight to come off and stay off. Giving your body all of the macronutrients it needs and in the right amounts, is the key to a successful weight loss with permanent results.
- Carbohydrates are our energy source and it contains most of the fiber and energy our body requires. Healthy examples: Brown rice, oatmeal, quinoa, oat bran.
- Healthy Fats (Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated) help protect skin and organs. They also assist immune system health and may prevent cancer. Healthy examples: Nuts and seeds, cold-water fish like tuna and salmon, avocados, olives.
If you struggle getting all of the macronutrients in each meal, choosing food like nuts, seeds and also salmon cover multiple groups in one punch.
- Proteins are essential in maintaining, rebuilding and protecting all of the cells throughout our bodies. Healthy Proteins: Chicken breast, soybeans, nuts and seeds, brocolli, fish.
Micronutrients are essential parts of our diet as well, but are not needed in every meal. They consist of the daily vitamins and minerals our body requires and usually needed in only trace amounts. I did list a few of them below with there roles they have in your body.
- Vitamin E is an antioxidant that is important in the protection and production of healthy skin, hair, and organs.
- Vitamin C fights free radicals in the body that may help prevent disease and cancer.
- Vitamin B supports a healthy metabolism, muscle tone and healthy skin.
- Calcium helps maintain our bone health and may help control weight.
A balanced diet with careful attention to your macronutrients and adding a variety of bright colored produce can ensure that you are getting the essential micronutrients your body requires.
- Zinc repairs and protects cells for healthier function. It also helps detox to prevent diseases and to assist our digestive system.
See my related blog post about becoming a nutrition fact label expert. It goes hand in hand with this article in regards to watching what you are eating and making sure your body is getting what it needs. http://www.nutritiousgossip.com/2012/08/how-to-be-nutrition-fact-expert.html#more